Friday, June 26, 2009

POTTY VENT

You've been warned. Work. Bathroom. Ugh. There are 3 separate sections of my building. There is the sales and marketing (used to be corporate) end. They have 4 bathrooms- 2 women, 2 men. Each has stalls, 2 sinks, etc. The middle of the building is manufacturing. There are 2 locker rooms. 1 for men, 1 for women. Front room is lockers, bench. Middle area has sinks. Toilet stalls. Then there is my end of the building. We have 2 bathrooms. 1 for women, 1 for men. No stalls. 1 toilet, 1 sink. The good news is that when you go to the bathroom, you have the place to yourself. Lately... our bathroom is a real issue. It started with the mystery blood. From time to time... there will be random little bloody smooshy splotches on the toilet seat. And in weird spots. The kind of spots that are from a scratch or something that has then been sat upon and smooshed about. A polite note about general cleanliness was put up by our QC department. It didn't help. So, many weeks after the polite note, I put up a much less polite note. I should have snapped a pic and sent it in to passive-aggressive notes. Tension about the bathroom has been building. We made some changes with our cleaning company and they have... stopped cleaning. Nice, eh? The sink is gaining a nice brown tone, as is the bottom of the toilet. I actually got fed up and cleaned the sink my own damn self. It's back to being brown. Even after a big meeting with the cleaning boss guy. It's an ugly, ugly situation. So many times I've gone to the bathroom and dealt with the normal complaints- the things people can't help, you know. The things folks try to drown out with atomic clouds of air freshener. But the things that are in our control... why can't the people who all use this one bathroom be a little mindful of the others who use this bathroom? There are about 10 women who use this one bathroom. So I would think that we could work together to ensure the following: 1. If you use the last of the toilet paper, take appropriate action to get another roll so you don't leave someone stranded on the toilet, dripping dry. 2. Big wet spots on the toilet paper- the kind of wet section that is layers and layers deep, the kind that make it impossible to pull on the toilet paper- are so not cool. 3. Is it really so difficult to pick up the paper towel you dropped? 4. If you use the last of the soap, refill it or grab another bottle from under the cabinet. 5. WASH YOUR HANDS. /vent

10 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Amen, sister.

Strange Mamma said...

That is really too bad. You know, with so few people using it, I would be too terrified to leave anything...unsightly behind in case someone figured out it was me. In fact if there was some stink about to take place I'd probably visit a colleague in the locker department and use theirs.

BTW, love the new look. although the clouds and butterflies following me are a wee bit creepy :)

Evansmom said...

We have a similiar problem here but on a much smaller basis. I just don't get how people are so inconsiderate. Makes no sense to me.

♥ Braja said...

You're in charge, ok?

Alison said...

What the heck? When did mothers stop teaching manners?? And just plain health?

Your new cleaning service deserves to be kicked to the curb--honestly, in this economy, you'd think they'd do anything to ensure the business.

There are some days I sure do appreciate having some time on my own personal toilet at home.

Saaayy...why don't you print out an "out of order" sign and put it on the bathroom door? They you'll have a private bathroom!

Holly said...

I agree, when DID parents stop teaching manners, and, you know, NORMAL behaviour!? o.O

Unknown said...

Are you sure a troop of local teenage boys isn't tramping by your desk on their way to the bathroom? Is there a skateboard park near your office building you didn't know about?

And, try this one on for size: I worked in a megaplex "world headquarters" that had four floors and NUMEROUS bathrooms throughout. I got so fed up with using the bathroom in my section, on my floor, that I would walk down four flights, and several hundred yards to the opposite end of the building, to use the bathroom.

And I'll be damned if I didn't catch the moron causing all the "stink" in my own section's bathroom coming out of THIS one one day.

I decided to just use the nearby 7-Eleven. It was cleaner

Carlito86 said...

:( I hate bad toilet behaviour!! I swear at our work there are stains on the wall..I can't work out whether they are poo, blood or boogies!! WTF do people wipte their hands on the WALL!

Eternal Lizdom said...

That's the thing that baffles me. These are all grown, mature women. Almost all are mothers. We all have cleaned bathrooms in our homes... most swear to be "germ conscious" and some are even germophobes.

I don't keep a clean house- but I keep a clean bathroom!! I can't stand a filthy bathroom! Maybe I should start cleaning it and invoicing the cleaning company.

Anonymous said...

that blood thing is disgusting. we had that same issues when i worked in a building downtown. we had to start posting a "wash your hands" kinda memo thing, and a toilet paper memo. it really was ridiculous. i mean, how OLD are we? 2? i know some 2 year olds that have better hygiene!

ps: i LOVE LOVE LOVE your new look! it's incredible!