Thursday, June 25, 2009

Reaper

Reaper. A CW show that was on for 2 seasons and was a really great show but that never gained a big audience. I finally got to see the final episode. And I can't say a lot about it because Jeff hasn't watched it yet... better yet- if you haven't watched it... don't read this entry, m'kay? I don't want to ruin anything accidentally. Stop reading now, ok? . . . . I HATED THE ENDING. Hated it. I assume that they didn't know it was the final episode. I assume it was supposed to be the cliffhanger to snag you for the next season. But see... there is NO opportunity for the show to continue. There was talk of it moving to SciFi or SyFy or whatever they call it now. There was then talk of it going into syndication. But 2 of the main characters- Sam and Sock- both said they wouldn't come back for syndication. So no show. I guess I can make up my own ending... but... it is just SO frustrating to have a show be cancelled and the show doesn't even get a chance to END the storylines! It happened with Twin Peaks (in my mind, Leo Johnson is still trapped in that cabin with a rope in his mouth, holding that jar of spiders over his head). I just recently watched Wonder Falls. Crappy ending. Open story lines. No closure. I get that television networks are in the business of making money. And advertisers want viewers who will see their ads. So when the audience base isn't there... the money isn't there... the show dies. And the people who DID watch the show are just left hanging... dissatisfied... unfulfilled...

4 comments:

Garret said...

I never watched any of the shows you mentioned BUT I have watched many a show that just ended and left many questions on the table. I hate that!

Mary Ellen said...

I'm with you. I hate when a show I like ends with no closure. Actually, I hate when they end at all. Why can't they just keep making the shows I like, period???

I recently fell in love with a show on Hulu that I totally missed when it was on actual TV (Firefly). There are only 14 episodes, but they at least made a movie (Serenity) that tied up a lot of the loose ends.

mimbles said...

I loved Wonderfalls, there should have been more!

Mary Ellen, there are Firefly comics too which fill in some of the time between the TV series and the movie.

Liz, there's an award waiting for you over at my place :)

Strange Mamma said...

I know I'm like the only person on the planet that watched Earth 2 but I know your pain.