Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20, 2009

ABRAHAM LINCOLN
A house divided against itself cannot stand. Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

JOHN F. KENNEDY

I look forward to a great future for America - a future in which our country will match its military strength with our moral restraint, its wealth with our wisdom, its power with our purpose.

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were.

RONALD REAGAN

Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known.
My philosophy of life is that if we make up our mind what we are going to make of our lives, then work hard toward that goal, we never lose - somehow we win out.
Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means.

BARACK OBAMA

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists - to protect them and to promote their common welfare - all else is lost.

There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and there are patriots who supported the war in Iraq. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.

There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

***

No matter who you voted for, I believe that most citizens, and certainly most of the world, recognize the historical importance of today's Inauguration.

I've heard grumbling from Conservatives about the hoopla being made over this Inauguration. About the coverage and air time and the giddiness of the media.

I think it is well deserved. I think it is overdue.

I've got my little black and white TV on at my desk and am watching the coverage on ABC this morning. While I am awed by the tradition of the visit to St. John's and the final coffee with President Bush... I am moved to tears to see the crowds, to see people celebrating and crying and dancing and praying.

I am hearing stories of what it feels like to be in D.C. these past few weeks. Of changes in how Republicans and Democrats approach each other. Of the energy passing between people.

No matter what... change is upon us and the citizens of this nation are hungry for it.

This is impressive, awe-inspiring, history making, emotionally powerful happenings.

I will most likely post throughout the day as moments of the Inauguration impact me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, I agree, thank you, your entry made me feel all great all over once again. (sniff!) I thank Cary at LOTD; without him, I never would have found this.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Welcome, Peggy!! I hope you'll stick around and keep commenting. I look forward to getting to know you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you left out the last paragraph in your Obama quotes. That was the one that 'got' me. It was truly Lincoln-esque. And held MUCH hope for a brighter future.