Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Will You Be My American Idol?

(or Canadian or Australian or British or whatever country you are from) I have to admit it. American Idol. I LOVE THIS SHOW. And I really only watch the auditions. Once they get past Hollywood, I lose interest. What is it about watching people fail that is so completely entertaining? I do enjoy it when I hear someone who is surprisingly better than anticipated based on their look. I fall completely for the touching, heart warming stories. This girl (Akeelah) just said "Irractitate me." Yeah. She means "irritate." This show isn't about singing. It's about mental illness. And the sorry state of our education system. Really. Now this blond chic (Annie) is in there and they ask her watch she's going to sing and she goes on for a while having no idea what song to sing. Really. How do you go to the BIGGEST audition of your life and NOT know what you are going to sing. Oh wait. She just "sang." There's that mental illness factor popping up. What next? A guy (Adam) with a serious musical theatre background... I'm intrigued since that speaks to my heart. And he's cute and has great eyes... he opens his mouth and... yeah! He can sing! Kinda different... but he's good! Uh oh... heartwarming story of a mother's illness and a son's love coming up. He better be able to sing since he will most likely be making me cry! (Kai) His mom has a seizure disorder and he takes care of her during the day. His personal life has taken a backseat... not dating anyone... his mom is the only woman in his life right now. What an amazing relationship. And they are playing one of the most awesome background songs, too. And then the son tears up talking about how much he loves his mom... So this is my evening. Now you know the truth. I've come clean. Wanna audition for me? I've watched every season (at least the auditions anyway) so I am basically a vocal expert. Really.

4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I watch this show, too, but I record it on the DVR so I can fast forward if it gets too painful. It is about more than the singing, but I have to admit I really like it when somebody who can actually sing shows up and surprises me.

Candy said...

I am probably the only person left on this planet who has never watched that show. No kidding. Probably because as a child, my dad always asked me to sing "Far, Far Away...." No sir-eee. I couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket. So I'm thinking after hearing what others say about the show, I'd fit right in the early rounds?

Amy said...

We love AI here, too. Though we do watch until the finale. But I would never admit that on my own blog b/c people will think that I have NO life. And they might be right!

Garret said...

I don't watch the show, but you're right about us loving to watch failure.

Garret