Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 1: Love is patient

Daily Reading

One of my favorite passages from the Bible is 1 Corinthians 13.

In fact, my senior quote in high school was:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Day One of the Love Dare is "Love is patient."

The reading says that there are 2 pillars for love and that everything else stems from these 2 pillars: patience and kindness.

It saddens me that so many are unkind to the one they love, the one they depend on.

I also know how easy it is to take things out on the person you love, on your soft place, to take advantage of the one who has promised to always be there.

Today's Dare

Resolve to say nothing negative to your spouse. "It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret."

Reflections

"Did anything happen today to cause anger toward your mate? Were you tempted to think disapproving thoughts and to let them come out in words?"

It's easy to say nothing negative when you aren't with your spouse all day! But there haven't been any moments of tension or arguing or snipping or anything like that in the time we have been together- not even when wrangling 2 kids in a restaurant! But I did find that I thought about it more and more. I found myself being more aware of the words I chose and the tone I used.

No comments: