Sunday, January 4, 2009

Wheeee! Fit!!!

Day Four on the Wii Fit. I think it is really good that I happened to start it on Jan 1. Because I'd love to see how long I'd like to hit it on a daily basis. See what my best streak can be. The big challenge will be getting on in the evenings- especially on days that I've already hit the gym. There isn't a way to get Wii Fit credit for going to the old-fashioned gym!!
We got our Wii before we got the Wii Fit. We'd heard great things about the basic games- bowling, tennis, baseball... and the reviews we'd heard from friends were exactly right. We had a lot of fun. So we picked up a few more games and continued to have a great time. It was something fun we could do together.
Then the Wii Fit came out. I wanted it. But wasn't really sure I'd actually use it. Then I joined my gym and fitness became more routine. After waiting and searching, Jeff found the Wii Fit.
And then it sat for a couple months.
We set it up Jan 1. And I'm on a 4 day streak! Plus I hit the gym Fri and will hit it several times this week.
Do I have goals? Not really. The Wii Fit had me set a goal... but I set it pretty low. And it doesn't automatically give you your weight... but does give you your BMI. It was pretty depressing. But I knew it was where I was. So no surprises. My goal is to just keep improving!
Once you've got the Wii up and running, you can choose Yoga, Balance Games, Aerobics, or Strength Training.
I've done yoga before. But never like this! I'm usually relying on my own sense of my body to stay balanced. With the Wii Yoga and the Balance Board, there is a visual to actually help me maintain my balance. And once the exercise is over, it gives me a graphic to show how on track I was. Same for the strength exercises. Plus, there is a personal trainer who demonstrates the moves and then gives you tips as you are exercising. I haven't yet linked exercises together but I know there is a way!
The aerobics are fun. Hula Hoop and Step and Boxing and Running. And you unlock advanced levels and longer durations and stuff. You collect fitness points in all of the areas that help unlock new exercises.
It's very easy to spend 40 minutes exercising and not even notice the time passing!
The Balance Games are fun, too. Sometimes frustrating. But I've gotten better at walking a tightrope and ski jumping!
Wondering if it's right for you? I suggest finding someone who has a Wii and ask to spend an hour playing the basic games. Just try bowling... I think you'll be hooked!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Liz - it makes me 100% sure that I want the Wii fit in my house. I'm on a wait list for it right now but I can't wait to use it when I get back from Mexico!

Joanie said...

Sounds like great fun, Liz! Too bad I don't have the bucks to get a Wii. I do, however, have a membership to Planet Fitness. I haven't been for about 2 months for different and varied excuses. I'm hoping to get back to it when this damned cold leaves me.

Anonymous said...

Liz:

There is a way on the Wii Fit to put in your gym time so that it can also keep track of that. I can't remember where it is, but maybe it's where you look at the graph of activities you have done. You can put in your gym time and track that with all your Wii Fit stuff.

Jillian from Biggest Loser has a Wii excercise game that uses the Wii balance board, but I'm not up for spending that kind of money yet. I've been doing well on keeping up with the Wii Fit except for Xmas and New Years and on days when I'm really not into it, I just do what sounds like fun to me.

Anonymous said...

Found it! Once you select your Mii in Wii Fit, and you're looking at the calendar, click on the graph button in the lower left corner. There is BMI, Weight, etc. across the top. Click on "Fit Credits" and then click on "Activity Log" you can put on light, medium or hard activity and it gives examples of what each of that entails and then you can input how much time you did on each kind of activity. It would be nice to be able to have your gym time show up in your graphs so it's linked to your Wii Fit work

Eternal Lizdom said...

Thank you Tim!!! See- I should read the instruction book, right?

Anonymous said...

Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions! We just fool around with it until we find out how to do it! LOL

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to a Wii Fit commercial parody. Made me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns

mimbles said...

We have a Wii but only because Adam won it at a conference he went to for work. It's an American one and because the Wii and all its games are region coded we can only get new games for to when he travels to the US. So we don't have many games for it. We could get it hacked to bypass the region coding but that would involve being organised enough to pack it up and send it off to the people who do that.

So no Wii Fit here...yet!

Jeff said...

You forgot to mention how good Teagan is at bowling.

Eternal Lizdom said...

I figured I'd leave YOU something to blog about!!

Boozy Tooth said...

Okay, dig this... Larry went online and cashed in some American Express reward points for $150 in Best Buy gift cards. I am still waiting for another $150 in rebate gift cards from AT&T from my BlackBerry purchase. That and another $100 bucks out of pocket will pay for the Wii console. My daughter and I went to Best Buy today to get the Wii Fit in advance (well priced at $89), but they were sold out first thing this morning, so we left empty handed. No biggie. We will get it sooner or later and probably before the console. I'm going on all these great Lizdom reviews and hoping it's something I'll like to do. I'm not a gym rat, so finding cool things to do at home is my preference. We'll see. Wish me luck1

Anonymous said...

Alix, I don't like the gym much and you can do the Wii Fit whenever you can get to it. And, if you're like me, you'd prefer to work out in private. So you might enjoy the Wii Fit. I looked for one in every store for a month and finally found it at a Wal-Mart on the east side of Indianapolis. I bought two and sold one on Craigs list.

Garret said...

Sounds fun! Maybe once I live in a house larger than a bus, I'll have room for it.

Garret

How about some screen shots of you or Jeff or Teagan using it?