Friday, January 2, 2009

Hair, Baby, There, Mama... Everywhere Daddy, Daddy!

I want to talk about hair. About my hair. Because I'm just that egotistical. Ha!
I've never really been one to have a lot of concern about hair styles and such. For the past 5ish years, my hair is just hair. I don't use product or take time to style it. Since getting pregnant with Zach, I've even stopped coloring it (and am surprised at how easily I accept all the grays up there). Heck, I don't even use a hair dryer!
But I want to say that I really think I have great hair.
There are days I roll out of bed and I don't wash my hair and I don't even brush my hair and it looks fine. It's long, it's healthy, it's strong. It has a little body and volume.
I get my hair cut about once a year. Lately, I just go to a basic place that just gives me a trim. In the past, I have gone to a stylist and gotten a fancier 'do. But since I'm not good on that whole "daily styling" thing, it never lasts.
In high school, I was a blond. Yowza!
In college, back to brunette and letting all the damage from those blond years grow out.
Then I went reddish for a community theatre show and the red really suit me so I stuck with reddish for several years.
Then motherhood rolled in and the time, energy, and interest in the color of my hair vanished.
My hair grew crazy fast while pregnant with Teagan. About a year after she was born, I cut my hair off and donated it to Locks of Love. Cut it short.
This is me about a month before Teagan was born.This is me 15 months after Teagan was born.
This is me on that same day, after I went out on my lunch hour and got it all chopped off (and donated).
I even managed to keep up with hair cuts for a while, keeping it short and "easy to manage."
This was taken about 6 months after it was all cut off (this is my friend, Lindsey, who was in town visiting from CT... she's my parenting soulmate. More on that some other time.)
And have pretty much been growing it ever since, with an occasional trim here and there.
Jeff likes my hair long. I like my hair long. I'm at the length where I usually start to get restless and have the urge to go extreme and cut it off. But I'm not having those urges right now. I'm annoyed with the static. But other than that, I love how my hair looks when it is down. I love how cute it can be in pigtails or braids. I love being able to pull it back into a loose bun/knot thing to get it out of my face.
I wonder just how long I can keep it long... before I get bored or whatever.
What do you think? Short or long on me? And tell me about your hair... how often do you get a hair cut? What's your hair routine like?

7 comments:

Boozy Tooth said...

Listen sistah, if I had beautiful strong healthy hair, I would let it grow, grow, grow. You are definitely a long hair person. It is youthful on you and if you don't have to color or even blowdry it, you are in the .01 percent of lucky women out there.

I used to have nice hair. Thick, lots of body, rich brunette color. And guess what? I kept it short. I've had short hair most of my life. It just looks better on me. Like my mom, I started going prematurely gray. By the time I was pregnant with my first child (late 20s) I was already coloring regularly. Then in 2000my hair started falling out by the handfulls. Thyroid disorder. Every day I clean a gob of hair out of my shower drain and wonder how I even have any hair left at all. I am going to be one of those poor old ladies whose scalp you can see through wispy tufts of gray hair, and boy let me tell you... if THAT isn't sexy, I don't know what is.

A year ago at Thanksgiving I got my last haircut. NOT because I have been wanting long hair, but because the cut was that bad and I swore I wasn't going to cut it again for a year. Okay, done. It's been a year and still no sign of going for a cut. It NEEDS cutting and I WANT it cut, but I'm so afraid I'll get bushwacked again and will have to pay a ton of money for something I regret doing while still in the chair. I never in my life cared about my hair this much when it looked good, but now? I don't mean to obsess... I just don't want to deal with it period.

So - keep your hair. Enjoy it. You're lucky. You're beautiful.

Now tell me what to do with mine.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Alix, you put together some pics of you with various hairstyles and I will tell you what I think!!

And don't misunderstand... there is a good amount of gray in my hair! It also started early on for me... in my twenties. I'm just at a point where I don't care. I have gray in my hair. OK. Still don't have the time or energy to color it! :)

Joanie said...

Liz, I like your hair long! It's pretty, it's carefree, you can fancy it up if you need to or toss up n a ponytail on those no-time-for-shower days I used to be a hairdresser, and I've almost always kept my hair short because I can fix it in less than 5 minutes. I don't have the patience to grow my hair either.
I should post pictures of me because I've been toying with the idea of NOT coloring my hair any more! I started turning gray (white actually, not gray) when I was 16. I am probably about 80% white now. I used to have long thick black hair. Today I am long overdue for a cut and color because I had to cancel my last appointment in December. Thank God I have an appointment on Tuesday! You know... I am going to post those pics! Don't laugh now! :) But keep yours long.. it's looks so pretty!

Boozy Tooth said...

I would love to stop coloring my hair! My mother's hair (you may have noticed her photo in my Christmas slideshow) is snowy and silvery and sparkly - very pretty. Mine is dyed deep brunette, but is probably 80 gray by now. How do you go natural without doing a Britney and shaving your entire head? Heavy highlighting? Ugh. The shaved head may be the way to go. Can't get much worse than it is now.

KPCL Girl said...

I vote for a style that isn't really shown--shoulder length--with bangs. Something that is easy to take care of, but is also something more than a 'let it just hang there' style (gosh, do I sound like Tracy in "Hairspray"?).

I'm a zero-maintenance hair person myself. In fact, lately, I've taken to simply cutting off anything that won't lay right, curl right, or gets in my eyes. It's curly enough to hide any unevenness or 'miscuts'. Whatever. It's just hair. I've got other issues to worry about--and it'll always grow out. Right? :-)

Candy said...

You can't wear hair long for very many years, so I say keep it long while you can. It's beautiful!

Mrs4444 said...

It does look great at any length. Men always want long hair, don't they? Mine is usually shoulderish length, but I do like it chin-length. (hubby cries when I even suggest it, so I appease him for now....:)